Photo from http://kymk.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/photo-op.jpg

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ancient groves along U.S. 101 offer respite from buzz saw of urban life

By Gary A. Warner
Orange County Register
Posted: 02/22/2010 10:56:16 AM PST
Updated: 02/22/2010 10:56:16 AM PST

"If you want perspective to smack you up the side of the head, go to
the redwoods. No, smack isn't the right word. The trees that seem to rocket out of
sight don't offer a rude awakening, but a gentle, beautiful reminder.
Life is shorter than you imagine. Mountains may be forever. But
redwoods are alive. They grow, they live, they die — it just might
take a thousand years or so. All the books of Zen meditation bring me less peace
than I feel while sitting among the redwoods at Richardson Grove State Park
on a quiet afternoon, with nothing but the sound of the wind through the
branches.

There are the young redwoods rising from the ferns; the mature kings
of the stand scarred with black swaths where lightning struck; the
toppled old giant gathering moss on the forest floor. Many years ago,
my then-preschooler son, surveying the scene, turned to me with a
comment worthy of a wise man...
Rest of Article
...On my last visit, I was alone. It was spring and few cars were on the
highway. It was wet, muddy, empty and silent except for the occasional
woodpecker or roar of a SUV speeding by. But most of the time, the
peacefulness was there amid the ancient trees. From childhood to
middle age to whatever later years bring, I know the places are there.
I can return again and again. The redwoods will be waiting."

I sure do hope so, Gary...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are still as free as our speech...